nice set up eh?[caption id="attachment_435" align="aligncenter" width="600" caption="Empty frame"][/caption] We managed to extract about 8 medium frames and the honey built up in the extractor so it was hard to spin. Tilting the extractor up with some scrap wood let the honey flow out the spout. Being one of the hottest days of the summer and having all the windows and doors shut to keep out curious bees helped make the honey flow a little quicker although it seemed like forever waiting for it to finish. [caption id="attachment_436" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Honey in the Strainer"][/caption] The strainers seemed to be working well but the honey was just dripping out of the bottom of the 200 micron filter and the honey was reaching the top of the bucket. We finished off 4 more medium frames and 2 deep frames and let the honey run into another bucket to be added later to the strainer. [caption id="attachment_441" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Full bucket"][/caption] I have been reading conflicting amounts of what a frame of capped honey actually holds. Some say 10 pounds per deep frame and others say 5 to 8 pounds. I felt bad not leaving enough food stores so decided to put back 6 deep frames into the hive for the bees. [caption id="attachment_445" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="honey harvest"][/caption]
Leaving the bucket overnight is strained through and the honey had time to settle before we bottled the next evening. Bottling was fun once we got used to using the honey gate. 24 small 110ml bottles for giveaways, 24 125ml jars for more giveaways, 10 250ml jars, 20 500ml jars and a couple of litre jars and a few little unknown jars. Not bad for the first year considering we weren't expecting any.
Oh yeah it tastes great!
Next post- Cappings
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign Up & Get Updates & Promo Codes
sign up for our newsletter