Here is a close up of the heating element. The oxalic crystals are placed in the tray then slid into the entrance of the hive.[caption id="attachment_602" align="aligncenter" width="600" caption="Vaporizer Closeup"][/caption] The entrance is sealed, I used some old shirts. If you use a screened bottom board that should be sealed as well as any other places where the vapor can escape. Like Formic acid, Oxalic will corrode the metal screens, so if possible remove them before treating. The leads are connected to a car battery for 1 minute, disconnected from the battery and left in the hive for another 10 minutes. The vaporizer is then removed and rinsed clean. Because Oxalic is quite a strong acid chemical resistant gloves and a respirator should be worn when working with it. Here is a picture of us treating a nearby neighbor's hive down on the next block. [caption id="attachment_587" align="aligncenter" width="600" caption="Treating friend's Hive"][/caption] My Neighbor experienced a mite drop of about 80 in a few days while my hive had about 35. From the research I found about treating with Oxalic is that it can be done up to 3 times a year using the vaporizer method but only once if drizzling it on the bees. I'm not sure which method is better but I do know that my bees have mites and the varroa population needs to be monitored constantly if the colonys are to survive.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign Up & Get Updates & Promo Codes
sign up for our newsletter